Children's Yoga Tree works with children and adults in schools, residential care and privately to provide therapeutic yoga tailored to individual needs. Our Yoga Therapy sessions address a range of special needs and conditions including, autism, downs syndrome, sensory impairment, developmental delay, physical disability and dementia. The schools, yoga students and families that we work with tell us that yoga is life changing and brings with it a greater sense of wellbeing and independence to all those practice.
Benefits of Yoga Therapy
- Calming for nervous system
- Builds core strength
- Helps develop gross and fine motor skills
- Develops proprioceptive sense
- Helps to self-regulate emotions
- Encourages focus and concentration
- Develops balance and co-ordination
How Yoga Therapy Helps
- Creates a calm, quiet space for a sense of well-being
- Strength building exercises develop gross motor skills and core strength
- Non-verbal interaction through copying physical movement and aided movement builds confidence
- Breathing exercises identify and address anxiety and help develop emotional self-regulation
- Builds emotional resilience
- Deep breathing soothes nervous system
- Creates a mental map of the body, developing spatial awareness and sense of own body in space
- Participation in choosing and creating yoga sequences helps develop sense of independence
- Guided visualisation helps to develop imagination and creativity
- Meditation relieves anxiety and encourages focus and concentration
'Emma is a very knowledgeable professional who worked with all year groups and with a range of different abilities. She built a great relationship with all of the students she worked with.
Yoga has had a positive impact on the students’ self-esteem, concentration and behaviour. It has helped to develop their motor skills, body awareness and coordination and provide sensory integration. It is ideal for young people with autism and a great addition to curricular activities. As well as working with students Emma provided in-house training for staff, which helped them to integrate various yoga techniques in to classroom activities. We cannot recommend Emma highly enough, she is fantastic."
Kairi Reiter, Deputy Headteacher, Kestrel House School for Autism, Crouch End, London
"Emma has been our sons yoga teacher for over 5 years. Our son has downs syndrome and his muscle tone and balance have been a challenge for him. Regular yoga sessions with Emma enabled him to grow not just in strength and flexibility but also in well being. Emma created a space for our son where he could relax, be himself and grow in confidence. Emma is kind, inclusive and a genuinely lovely person and talented yoga instructor. She shows patience with children of all abilities, developing and nurturing talents along with scaffolding those children that need a little bit more time. Thank you Emma for all you have done."
Julie, mother of Connor
Places where we work
- Queens Park Primary School, Brighton
- Lennox House Residential Home, Care UK
- Beech Hurst Residential Home, Haywards Heath
- Gipsy Hill Schools Federation, Lambeth, London
For more information about our Yoga Therapy work please contact Emma or Siobhan on firstname.lastname@example.org